Monday, March 5, 2007

So out of the loop

One of the reasons I wanted to start this blog is that it would give me a great excuse (as if I needed one) to keep up with all the new makeup trends. My actual job has kept me so busy lately that I haven't really gotten my glam on, and I usually wear no makeup to work (I know. How could I!? I work in a very casual environment though) and after work I just head home and catch up on "Lost" and "Heroes" (I never said I wasn't a nerd at heart).

Last week after my friend J and I went out to dinner in Soho, we stopped by makeup mecca Sephora and checked out some goodies. I realized I've been out of the makeup loop for a really long time. There were so many products I just didn't know about. I didn't understand how I let myself get so out of touch! Like any other makeup maven, I read Allure every month, but I guess that's just not enough. Here are a few products I checked out...

Cargo Purse Gloss, $16.00
The packaging looks cute, but I think the best way to tell if packaging works in the long run is to check out the testers and see how gross and messy they are. These were pretty gross and the colors looked a little sheer. Cargo lippies tend to be a little low on pigmentation so apply at your own risk. Plus I didn't see any colors that appealed to me. Pinks and berry/fuchsias just don't do it for me. Sigh...I'm getting older.


Fiber wig Mascara - $22.00

I already had mascara on my top lashes so I only tried this on my lower. Can't say this made much of a difference, but I did notice that I had a little something on. Mascara is one of those things I go cheap on because you have to throw it out every three months so why bother spending over $20 bucks on the stuff!






La Vanilla Vanilla Grapefruit - $56.00

I really like this! I usually hate vanilla scents on my body, but the combination of the citrus with the vanilla works well. I may have to save up and splurge for this on my birthday. I'm not a big fragrance girl, but I'll spend money on something I really like.

Well that's all for now! Until next time!

all photos courtesy Sephora.com

3 comments:

Mrs. Kay said...

Hmmm....I'm going to have to try this new Vanilla/Grapefruit-y scent....Thanks, Aina. And ditto on the too-sheer Cargo lipglosses. I've never been able to get with their dual sided tins. They don't close tightly enough and they end up all goopy at the bottom of my purse. Plus, it's like I smeared Neosporin on my lips. There's like NO color at all. But I do give it a thumbs up in the packaging attempt.

LOL.

Anonymous said...

kudos to you on this post. I was on the web searching for "Mac lipgloss color for African" ... just wanted an African (/american) opinion on lipstick color that works.

So this is great. I plan to buy the gloss as gifts for my cousins in Nigeria. They love Mac.

Please please please... if you are looking for blog ideas. How about.. how to apply and blend eyeshadow .. and also the brushes needed for it.

I've been to a Mac counter twice.. and I still don't get it. I'm just bad at it. But I would really like to learn.

I really want to learn how to do that smoky eye thing.

Anyway... nice post...

Glib Gurl said...

I second the request for how to apply eyeshadow! A sistah needs help!!!

I will check out that vanilla/grapefruit scent - I love both flavors!