Monday, July 9, 2007

Yes, You Should Wear Sunscreen!

I know you don't wanna. You're saying to me right now, "but I'm brown. I've been blessed with melanin. I already look several years younger than my age, and my granmama ain't never had no real wrinkles like that!"

Au Contraire, mis amis (if that's not spelled right, I only took one semester of French and got a C). black people get skin cancer too. Plus just because I don't have wrinkles now, doesn't mean I'll never get 'em!

I consider myself a connoisseur of sunscreens. Most of them ain't worth a damn. They leave your skin feeling greasy, or looking chalky, or they just have a funny smell. Below are my picks for the best and worst sunscreens for face & body for darker skins:

No Ad SPF 30 - $6.39 - $9.49, drugstore.com. I Love this stuff. It's not heavy or greasy, it makes you smell like the beach, and your skin actually feels moisturized and not just sun-protected! My favorite thing about this product is the size of the bottle. Most sunscreen products only give you 4 ounces. The magazines tell us we need to put on 1 ounce over your entire body. If that's true and you use sunscreen over your whole body consistently, then you're constantly buying tiny ass tubes of sunscreen. At least No Ad will last you for a long time!

Sage Advice Skin Care, SPF 25 $16.00, www.zerozits.com - This is my holy grail sunscreen. Their SPF 25 is the best sunscreen I've ever used on my face. You can wear it under any moisturizer and it works with all the foundations I've ever used in conjunction with it. No ash, no chalk and it's water proof. It may be more than you want to spend on a sunblock, but that 4 ounce bottle will last you through several months even if you use it every day.






And now the worst...

Neutrogena Fresh Cooling Body Mist Sunblock, SPF 30, $8.99, drugstore.com - I had high hopes for this product. First of all you need a mask over your face before you spray it because the fumes are more powerful than spray paint. Even if you do get past that part, the oily texture it leaves on your skin is not suitable for every day use. Maybe it's better suited for the beach where there is a breeze and you're not concerned with your clothes getting greasy!


Until next time, y'all!

9 comments:

Glib Gurl said...

I am all about Avon's bug repellant + sun screen (forgot the name of the product -- I think it's part of the skin so soft collection). Protect your skin and keep the little critters away!

Anonymous said...

I like the Aveeda I-Image SPF30 - specifically because it has zinc oxide ... or something like that. Its supposed to be a physical barrier. But it's greasy. I also like Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer... but its only SPF 15.

Have you tried those? What do you think

Anonymous said...

Hey, Thanks for the advice!

So, as a favour, I'll return some.

When you recommend a product it may be a good idea to have the image/name etc. link directly to the product site. Ideally this will be as a site that pays commissions to anyone who refers a sale to their site. With enough visitors to your blog,and therefore enough referals, this can lead to a tidy sum. There are plenty of people online who make staggering sums of money just doing this alone-helping other people/companies sell their products.

Anyway, there's my two cents. Hope it helps! All the best.

J

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Lose Slow Downloads Using NZB Downloads You Can Quickly Search HD Movies, PC Games, Music, Software & Download Them @ Dashing Speeds

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]NZB[/B][/URL]

Anonymous said...

loves implemented refereed revolve billing envisioning idrc pediatrician donors dispositions inspections
lolikneri havaqatsu

Anonymous said...

beautyforbrownpeople.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

You could easily be making money online in the hush-hush world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat guide[/URL], Don’t feel silly if you have no clue about blackhat marketing. Blackhat marketing uses not-so-popular or little-understood avenues to build an income online.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar
one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam responses?
If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can recommend?
I get so much lately it's driving me mad so any help is very much appreciated.

my web blog ... interweave